Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Painting The Town

Throughout my life I have rarely had absolute certainty about major decisions I have made.  Be it a purchase, a ministry move, or some other life-changing thing, I just can't seem to escape that one nagging question: "What if this blows up in my face?" 

When faced with a decision, I have a little process I go through: I pray about it, get some facts together, and talk it out with my wife.  But sooner or later there always comes a time to act....to "paint or get off the ladder", as they say.

When I saw this picture (quoting a verse found in Ecclesiastes 11:4), it made me think of the many times I have "painted", not knowing how things would turn out.  It can be unsettling, but what's the alternative?  Waiting, and waiting some more, for a certainty that never comes.

The picture also made me think of our *FOCUS group.  The truth is that this isn't a perfect time to be selecting an UUPG.  Our church is beginning a major construction project, the economy is bad, and church offerings for this year are under budget.  So, is moving forward a bold act of faith, or a reckless disregard for the facts?  I suppose honorable men could disagree about that.  But in my book it's better to try something and fail, than to try nothing and succeed.

Happy painting!


 *If you are new to this blog, you may not know that our church is in the process of identifying an "unreached people group", so that we can target them with the gospel.  Our FOCUS group is helping our church through this process.





No comments:

Post a Comment