Friday, April 22, 2011

It Matters To This One!













We did several things on our trip to the DR, including hosting a medical clinic. We did this on 2 different days, actually. This is the first time I have ever done this, so it was fascinating to me. There was a doctor and a couple of nurses to see patients, and it all went over very well. Everything we needed, including medicine, we took with us. I was the gatekeeper, as it were. It was my job to stave off "creeping chaos", and to call the next person who was to be seen. It was at once gratifying and frustrating. Gratifying because we were really doing some good, and frustrating because we couldn't see everyone who needed attention. It reminded me of the old story, often told, about the kid saving starfish on the beach. When told that his efforts didn't really matter in the light of all that needed to be done, he responded, "Well, it matters to this one!" Indeed it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment