Wednesday, September 4, 2013

I Have One, Too

Unless you live deep in the bowels of the earth (in which case you probably wouldn't be reading this), you know that we just celebrated (August 28) the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have A Dream" speech. Dr. King was a flawed man, but there's no denying his moral courage or his gifts as an orator.

To mark this historic occasion, I thought I'd jot down a few dreams of my own.  Though I'm under no illusion that my "speech" will be remembered 50 years hence, I write it anyway, for my own edification if for no one else's.

I HAVE A DREAM.......
  • that one day we will have elected representatives who are serious about the fiscal mess we are in.  If they can't bring themselves to reverse course, could they at least take their foot off the gas? 
  • that one day we'll have one entire presidential campaign without any mention of the words "fascist", "racist", or "Adolf Hitler".
  • that just once a popular Disney channel star would not insist on showing us how "grown up" they have become.
  • that more boys and girls would know the security of growing up with a mom and a dad, and that one could long for this without being labeled a "hater".
  • that  more American church members would develop a taste for solid biblical preaching, and demand the same of those who would lead them.
  • that one day Hollywood will make at least one movie without wall-to-wall profanity and innuendo. And while we're at it......could we get one where the religious person in the story isn't a kook, philanderer or serial killer?
There.....I feel better now.  Will my dreams ever become reality?  It's not likely, in my opinion.  But as King well knew, it's OK to hope for a better world, even if we never get a perfect one.





No comments:

Post a Comment