Thursday, February 14, 2013

Counting My Blessings

Oh, how I wish I had a dollar for every time I have seen this: a young person is brought up in a solid evangelical church.  There are sermons and lessons galore, and not a few youth camps and other special events.  Life's big decisions must be made with care, these young people are told, and there are temptations on every hand.  Duly warned, they then proceed to choose a complete spiritual dud as a life partner.

Of course, it's not exactly a "life" partner.  After a few days/months/years the couple discovers that - you might want to hold onto something - they are not compatible!  The fires of passion that once raged have long since burned out, and only duty now holds them together.  But this can't last, so the end comes, with our young Christian deeply wounded and wondering how God could allow such a thing to happen.

I'm not trying to "pile on".  My point is that, while romance is not exactly a science, neither is it luck. Christians, of all people on earth, should have clear criteria for a potential spouse, and must stick to them no matter what.  This may not guarantee a long and happy marriage, but it sure beats sweaty palms and liver shivers.

Today is Valentines Day, and I'm reminded that I'm one of the lucky ones.  I've made mistakes, but not the one I just described.  Sure, Beverly and I have had our fights, our disappointments and tough patches.  But we're still together, and after all these years, she's still  the one I want to come home to.





No comments:

Post a Comment